Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Thing #23 - Fin!!

I enjoyed the experience overall and learned a lot of great new things and came up with awesome new ideas for class!

1. My favorites were Youtube and TeacherTube, the Wikis and OpenOffice. Those three seem to be the most useful of the bunch and the ones I will 100% guaranteed use ASAP for school and personal use.

2. As a lifelong learner, its afforded me new ways to find the things I am looking for, and better ways to share them. This is invaluable for teachers! Another way, a different explanation, an alternative view, all of it helps all kinds of students in so many ways and adds to their pool of resources that they now have to become life long learners themselves.

3. Unexpected outcomes? I don't think so. I didn't like Rollyo because it just doesnt seem useful to me but other than that, it was all good information that I can use on my webpage I am required to host/maintain.
I do find it irritating that all this that was learned doesn't count towards me when I am evaluated and put down for lack of use of technology. We do what we can and just because the one day someone happens to visit I am not putting on the dog and pony show, I get marked inadequate. I work in a T-shack, people. The internet connection is tenuous at best, we often don't get bells, announcements, we have no security, so you know....its annoying. This is the sort of thing that irritates me because its a stupid initiative. There are merits to things like straight memorization and essay writing. To reading books and spending time in a real library. Yes, these tools are neat and can do some good tricks but truth be told, I don't think they are increasing the student's critical thinking skills in any way.
Sorry, tangent but really a big huge peeve of mine.

4. As far as the format, everything was great. I think though that maybe a format of, the system leading you to the next step, sort of like a check system to let you know you are 100% done, sort of tracking to do list, that would be fancy, but certainly not required.

5. I would definitely participate in another program in the future, provided one comes up I am interested in and can get PDLC credit for :)

6. One word or sentence? I'd say, "Creative ways to use technology in the classroom and get students interacting with advancing technology". I'd re title it that!

Great program, learned a lot. Thanks!

2 comments:

Grendel said...

Congratulations on finishing!As I read through your blog, I was impressed with all the classroom applications you mention for the new tools you have learned.Good job!

L'l Bit said...

Also want to commend you for finishing your journey. And so quickly too! Congratulations!